Are You Vulnerable to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Posted on Thursday, 22 August 2013 and filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through theRSS 2.0 . You can leave a response or trackback to this entry from your site


(hla) You may want to think twice before cooking with your doors and windows shut tight as you may be vulnerable to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. It is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

According to BBC News, Derry City Council has issued a warning on Thursday to all areas of Northern Ireland that certain models of gas cookers can cause such poisoning. To name a few brands that are affected would include BEKO, Leisure and Flavel cookers.


Carbon monoxide poisoning is not something to be taken lightly of as it can have fatal consequences. Other less severe symptoms include (but not limited to) headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

The council warned that "given the serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if the grill is used while the door is closed, we are urgently calling on consumers to check their cookers today."

They also added that "under no circumstances should anyone operate the grill with the grill door closed - it must always be in the open position... (and) it is also essential that people do not use the cookers as heaters or for any other purpose than cooking."

Although carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and tasteless, the gas is highly toxic and necessary precautions must be taken to avoid any mishaps. It is strongly recommended that one fixes an audible carbon monoxide alarm, perform an annual gas safety check and get regular servicing by a gas registered engineer.

Should you suspect yourself or any of your family members suffering from CO poisoning, please see your doctor immediately.



By Genevieve Tan Shu Thung

Copyright © 2013 Sandhya Maarga Holistic Living Resources
Holistic Living Annex (AUGUST 2013)

0 Responses for “ Are You Vulnerable to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?”

Leave a Reply

What did you think about this article?

Join our Group to Connect with 1,700++ MEMBERS...


OR LIKE our new Facebook Page below...

Recently Commented

Recent Entries

Inspirational Gallery

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vh6W0_-JSSs/V2-Tndg3ouI/AAAAAAAAIPg/1JOi6asOEFQRPG4HNw8nzBFg1aN7rscagCLcB/s1600/Side%2BBanner.jpg

Holistic Living Annex